What is a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)?
Keep scrolling to find out!
Call us at 912-236-1730 to schedule your electrical service.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter
“Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) are the difference between life and death in certain circumstances…” Brady Oppenheim
Quick Facts On GFCIs
- According to OSHA, GFCI is a fast acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground fault.
- It was invented by Charles Dalziel in 1961 and patented in 1965.
- GFCIs were required by code as early as 1971.
- Eaton has made a brochure showing recent GFCI code revisions. You can find it here.
- GFCI outlets are required in bathrooms, kitchens, outdoor spaces, in crawlspaces, basements, and boathouses.
- EFSi estimates that if GFCI protection was not required, there would be a 603% increase in electrocutions
Ground Fault FAQs
- What is a ground fault? “A ground fault happens when power leaks off the hot to ground.” Melvin Joyner
- What causes a ground fault? A few things can cause ground faults, including: loose connections, water contact, poorly insulated or damaged wiring.
What Do I Need To Do With GFCI Outlets?
- Have an electrician make sure you have GFCI outlets where required.
- Test your GFCI outlets once a month and after power failures.
How Do I Test GFCI Outlets?
- Turn on the lamp.
- Press the TEST button.
- The lamp should have turned off.
- Press RESET.
- The lamp should have come back on.
If the lamp did not turn off during test and back on during reset, you need a licensed electrician to come inspect the GFCI or wiring.
Thank you Joyner Electric for responding to my electrical problem that I had. You where able to come out the same day and fix that problem that I had. Andrew was awesome, he was very professional and courteous. He explained to me about the warranty that I have with the work that was completed today. He was very knowledgeable and when it came to electrical work. If I ever have any issues with my panel box again I would definitely call Joyner Electric to make my repairs.
I could not be happier with the service and professionalism from Joyner. Chase and Daniel immediately knew how to fix my electrical issues and were polite and efficient. I have already recommended them to a friend who needs electrical work and will definitely call on them again with any other electrical needs.
Excellent service from Joyner Electric
I have been very pleased with the work and the timely effort Joyner has provided for our problems. Chase and helpers are professional and knowledgeable in explaining our needs. I would highly recommend this company.
Why Choose Joyner Electric and Security
Our purpose is to empower customers to keep them out of the dark by delivering expert electrical service. We are professional, work efficiently, are committed to our work, we do the right thing, and think positively.
- We guarantee our work.
- We are the experts.
- We communicate with our customers.