What is a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)?
Keep scrolling to find out!
Call us at 912-236-1730 to schedule your electrical service.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter
“Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) are the difference between life and death in certain circumstances…” Brady Oppenheim
Quick Facts On GFCIs
- According to OSHA, GFCI is a fast acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground fault.
- It was invented by Charles Dalziel in 1961 and patented in 1965.
- GFCIs were required by code as early as 1971.
- Eaton has made a brochure showing recent GFCI code revisions. You can find it here.
- GFCI outlets are required in bathrooms, kitchens, outdoor spaces, in crawlspaces, basements, and boathouses.
- EFSi estimates that if GFCI protection was not required, there would be a 603% increase in electrocutions
Ground Fault FAQs
- What is a ground fault? “A ground fault happens when power leaks off the hot to ground.” Melvin Joyner
- What causes a ground fault? A few things can cause ground faults, including: loose connections, water contact, poorly insulated or damaged wiring.
What Do I Need To Do With GFCI Outlets?
- Have an electrician make sure you have GFCI outlets where required.
- Test your GFCI outlets once a month and after power failures.
How Do I Test GFCI Outlets?
If you don’t have the manufacturer’s instructions, CPSC.gov suggests to plug in a lamp into your GFCI outlet for testing.
- Turn on the lamp.
- Press the TEST button.
- The lamp should have turned off.
- Press RESET.
- The lamp should have come back on.
If the lamp did not turn off during test and back on during reset, you need a licensed electrician to come inspect the GFCI or wiring.
Second time using them, this time to install an outdoor ceiling fan. Their Professionalism, Customer Focus, and knowledge is second to none & I’ ve used other Local Electrical Contractor, they are leagues ahead.
Ceiling fan installation
Great service friendly people, highly recomended
We’ve tried them all …..then we met Joyner
Honestly, we tried far too many electrical companies when we first purchased in Savannah. Finally we found the ONE. As designers/builders in other cities, it was imperative to find premium electricians that we and our clients could rely on and have peace of mind in the quality of work and service. Please look no further….we can’t praise Joyner (Chase specifically) enough!!!!
Why Choose Joyner Electric and Security
Our purpose is to empower customers to keep them out of the dark by delivering expert electrical service. We are professional, work efficiently, are committed to our work, we do the right thing, and think positively.
- We guarantee our work.
- We are the experts.
- We communicate with our customers.